Faros is a sheltered harbour and fishing village 7 km from Apollonia. It was the island’s main port until 1883 and is named after the ancient tower (Faros being the Greek word for lighthouse) on the beach (where the footpath from Faros to Glyfo begins today). On the waterfront at Faros is a small stone theatre which hosts a variety of cultural events during the summer season.
In Faros there are three small sandy beaches:
The central beach, where the asphalt road ends, has spectacular views of Chrisopigi. It also has a number of restaurants, cafés, bars and a grocery store.
The beach at Glyfou is so named for the well of brackish water which has been there since ancient times, and is still there today, to the right of Faros beach. From Glyfou begins the beautiful paved footpath (illuminated at night) leading to the beaches of Apokoftou and Chrysopigi. To the right of the beach, the steps to leading to the ancient mines and the remains of the old ore-loading facilities are visible.
Lastly, there is Fasolou, to the left of Faros beach, where there is a restaurant and rooms to let. The Monastery of Stavros (the Cross) in Faros is also to be found at Fasolou.
Hiking trails starting at Faros lead to the Acropolis on the hill of Agios Andreas and Kastro.